Sunday, July 20, 2008

Long Run, New Bike, Short Run

Learned this week: Don't run without the orthotics. Buying a bike can be confusing and expensive. Riding a bike is hard on the legs. Kool-Aid has a tasty new flavor. Damn, it's hot outside.

Last Wednesday I ran 5.25 on the treadmill, including 1.0 mi at 7.0 mph (max HR 183!). The leg pain/shinsplints hover around a pain level of "almost noticeable" most of the time, but as long as it doesn't go above that, I think I can manage things. Slow and steady progress is my new training maxim.

I bought a bike on Thursday night. Say hello to my little friend:


Biking is hard on the knees and quads, especially when you haven't ridden a bike in 15-20 years. I want to commute on the bike at least 3 times a week until the snow files; the trip is about a mile one way, which isn't much, but it keeps me from using the car.

Today I warmed up then did a mile on the treadmill, then ran the 2.08 mile loop around the neighborhood in 16:58 (pretty hard 8:09 pace). Total mileage was about 4.1.

In nutrition news, Kool-Aid has a new flavor - Invisible Watermelon Kiwi. I made some homemade Gatorade with it today and I can recommend it. (The recipe: one 1/2 liter water bottle, 1/4 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid, medium pinch of kosher salt, small pinch of Lite Salt - for the potassium, sugar to taste - 1-2 tablespoons, water to fill.)

Weekly total: 12.83, 27.83 July to date, 527.81 YTD. 11 weeks to Wineglass Marathon, which is looking less and less likely.

1 comment:

Tea said...

Best List of Lessons learned eva! and yea, it's FRIGGIN HOT!