Sunday, February 10, 2008

Birthday Challenge

It's as official as it's going to get: the raceAthlete B-Fit B-Day Challenge is adding a run-only version based partly on my input. You still have to run your age, but they decided to keep the original Gold/Silver/Bronze time limits of one/three/seven days. I have no plans to be an elite endurance runner this year, so I'm picking the Silver Challenge. My birthday's on a Monday, so I will have the weekend to go long; Saturday 5/31 would be my first 20-mile run ever. Then I can go easy on Sunday 6/1 and finish up with 10 or so on 6/2.

I have no races in April or May, so I can run the big 37 and recover/train for either a hard 20K on June 21 or a 10-miler on July 4.

Although my original idea was to run within the same number of hours as birthday miles (for Gold, or double/triple for Silver/Bronze), keep in mind that this is really an endurance challenge and we want Gold to be hard. I think up to about 50 years/miles in a day is about the limit, but it will be interesting to see who takes on the Gold Run-Only Birthday Challenge.

I was member #62; here's my profile: http://bfitbday.ning.com/profile/DaveM

4 comments:

Bill said...

You too, huh?

I asked since I'll be in Baghdad without a pool to swim in. So I had already thought about running 40 on my birthday. Then this challenge came along, so I asked Roman about a run-only option. Glad to see that others had the same idea.

Good luck shooting for silver. And with your marathon in October!

Dave M said...

Roman says "this idea" of running your age is actually pretty old. But there's no way I'd do it in one day, not yet anyway! The three-sport challenge is really cool and I am looking forward to seeing the results over the year. It's great that four people have already done the Gold.

Thanks, Bill. Best of luck to you as you head overseas.

Mary Sunshine said...

C'mon, Dave, let's go for Gold.

I think I could do 43 miles in one day if I went slowly and ate a lot. The fact that my birthday is 2 days after my second Ironman, may be an issue, though...

Maybe I could do my half-birthday which would be in March when i am in bad need of a running goal. Went without one this year and I'm going nutty.

Dave M said...

Look, I'm not sure who you think you're talking to here, but... I want to train SLOWLY this year! And not hurt myself. And get regular chiropractic adjustments. And not go too far too soon or too fast or all at once. But this thing they call running... it does get into your veins. I actually found myself thinking about doing it in one day, but I would need more experience with very long runs - heck, I haven't even run a half marathon distance yet and we're talking about 37 miles by June???