Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tempo Workout = Easy Run

And if you don't like it, get your own training plan!

Today the weather was great (even hot in the sun) and just begging for a fast neighborhood run. I did 3.55 miles in 28:42 which is an 8:05 pace - not exactly an easy training pace, more like a tempo run. My left leg hurts to run more than a mile or so, and it was tight in front and back - so much that I had to walk for a minute. But it was my workout, dammit! And I can't wait to put my new shoes on tomorrow and bang out a good speed workout.

I've been thinking about training for the 37 Birthday Miles challenge that's now eight weeks out. It would seem that I should try to get in a few two-a-days of moderate distance before the Challenge. For starters, I'd try a couple days of up to an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon/evening, then up to maybe two hours each on a weekend with a nap in between. This would loosely simulate the noon-to-noon split of running, say, 20 then 17 miles within 24 hours, and help me work out the details of hydration, fuel, rest, refueling, supplies, and Sherpa duties.

No comments: