Thursday, August 21, 2008

Starting Slowly

I may be in the process of getting one of those electro-stim ETPS units I mentioned last week. My insurance may actually cover it, so woo-hoo! There's $400 I won't have to come up with...

I guess I didn't want to jinx anything by posting about it, but I did an easy 3.0 mile treadmill run on Tuesday and a little harder 4.0 miles today, both without any lingering pain. Today I was concentrating on keeping my toes loose and my footstrike light. I think the toe-clenching aggravates the tibialis posterior/flexor hallucis longus, which has been my nagging problem. So far there's been no need for ice, Biofreeze, or a frustrated call to physical therapy.

My regular "A" race is Sunday - the Chris Thater 5K, in which I usually set a new PR. I know rationally that if I run it, I will race it, and racing on pavement hurts. On the flip side, it would be the first time I get to see the world-class racers - the men's winner usually puts down something in the 13:40 range. These two are the 2006 and 2007 winners.

I don't have a plan right now, except to do easy runs of slowly increasing mileage, and start back on the road very slowly. Wish me luck. I'm not sure I know how to do "slowly."

2 comments:

Tea said...

ok...under no circumstance would you still be out there running, so how did it go?

Dave M said...

I watched the elite men win with times under 14:00 - that's how it went! Besides, I was still sore from yesterday's short road run.